How to Get into the Top Architecture Colleges of India
Architecture is a field where you not only need technical skills but also require a good level of design-based skills. A good
splash of creativity and a high-level of visual and spatial ability are needed to pursue architecture and design courses.
According to the prestigious Outlook India and India Today magazines, the best-ranked
Architecture Colleges in India in 2017 were:
- IIT Kharagpur
- IIT Roorkee
- NIT Kozhikode
- NIT Tiruchirappalli (NIT Trichy)
- Birla Institute of Technology, Mesra (BIT Mesra)
- Sir JJ College of Architecture,
- School of Planning & Architecture (SPA), New Delhi
- School of Planning & Architecture (SPA), Bhopal
- Jamia Millia Islamia, New Delhi
- Centre for Environmental Planning and Technology University, Ahmedabad
- Chandigarh College of Architecture
- Jadavpur University, Kolkata
- JNAFAU School of Planning & Architecture, Hyderabad
- Manipal Institute of Technology
- School of Architecture & Planning (SAP), Sharda University,
- School of Architecture and Planning, Apeejay Institute of Technology, Greater Noida
- School of Architecture, Dr. K.N. Modi University, Newai
- Aayojan School of Architecture, Jaipur
- BMS College of Engineering,
- Integral University, Lucknow
- Lingayas University, Faridabad
- R.V. College of Architecture, Bengaluru
- Sushant School of Art & Architecture, Gurgaon
Some of these are government institutes
while others are private institutions that have earned a good reputation in the field of architecture and design education.
Here is how you can get into these colleges:
Admission Process through
JEE Main (Paper 1), JEE Advanced and AAT
For B.Arch courses in IIT Roorkee and IIT Kharagpur, you need to follow the following steps:
Step 1: Appear for JEE Main
(Paper 1) and qualify for the JEE Advanced exam.
Step 2: While filling up the JEE Advanced form, be sure to choose the B.Arch program of IIT Kharagpur and IIT Roorkee as your preferred course choices.
3: If you crack the JEE Advanced exam, follow the link that allows you to apply for the AAT (Architecture Aptitude Test).
Step 4: If you crack the AAT exam, you are allotted seat according to the All India Rank
(AIR) awarded to you on the basis of your JEE Advanced scores.
Admission Process through JEE Main (Paper 2)
Amongst the top colleges mentioned above, admission to NIT Trichy, NIT Kozhikode, BIT
Mesra, SPA Delhi and Bhopal, Faculty of Architecture and Ekistics in Jamia Millia Islamia, and Chandigarh College of Architecture happens through JEE Main Paper 2 (conducted for admission to Architecture and Planning programs).
for admission to the NITs, IIITs, and Government Funded Technical Institutes (GFTIs), students need to score at least 75% in their 12th exams.
Other institutes in which you can join B.Arch course through JEE Main Paper 2 are:
- Malaviya National Institute of Technology, Jaipur
- Maulana Azad National Institute of Technology, Bhopal
- National Institute of Technology, Calicut
- National Institute of Technology, Hamirpur
- National Institute of Technology, Patna
- National Institute of Technology, Raipur
- National Institute of Technology, Rourkela
- Visvesvaraya National Institute of Technology, Nagpur
- School of Planning & Architecture,
- Shri Mata Vaishno Devi University, Jammu & Kashmir
- SRM University, Chennai
- Punjab Technical University, Patna
- PM College of Engineering, Sonepat
- Himgiri Zee University, Dehradun
- Gitam Institute
of Technology, Vishakapatnam
- Deenbandhu Chottu Ram University, Sonepat
- Dehradun Institute of Technology, Dehradun
- ICL Institute of Architecture, Ambala
- Faculty of Technology and Engineering, Vadodara
Jawaharlal Nehru Engineering College, Aurangabad
Admission Process through NATA
All the other top architecture colleges that are private and do not accept JEE scores conduct admission on
the basis of NATA (National Aptitude Test in Architecture) scores. Conducted by the Council of Architecture, the students need to obtain at least 50% in Mathematics as well as 50% aggregate marks in Class XII board exams to sit for the exam.
+ AAT vs JEE Main Paper 2 vs NATA
JEE Advanced + AAT
The Joint Implementation Committee of JEE (Advanced) decides the minimum cut-off marks for AAT. Candidates who secure more than that are declared
'PASS' in the exam. Then, seat allocation is done according to the category-wise AIR obtained by the candidates in JEE Advanced.
Students can appear for AAT - only if they have cleared JEE Advanced.
AAT consists of a single paper which is of three
hours' duration. It has objective-type paper questions that test students' Mathematics skills, Aptitude, and Drawing or Sketching skills. It is a pen and paper exam and is conducted only in English.
JEE Main Paper 2
Paper 2 exam is conducted by the Central Board of Secondary Education (CBSE) for admission to undergraduate architecture and planning courses. It is generally held in the second slot of the day - from 2 pm to 5 pm.
The Paper 2 JEE exam
has a total of 82 questions that are worth 390 marks. It tests students for their Aptitude, Mathematics skills, and Drawing skills. The two drawing questions are worth 70 marks while the rest of the 80 questions carry 4 marks each.
is negative marking in the exam and for each wrong answer, 1 mark is deducted from the total score of the student (except for the Drawing Section which does not have negative marking). Generally, the Math section of the paper has easy to moderate level questions.
NATA tests students' aesthetic sensitivity, aptitude for architecture and free-hand sketching ability. One needs to obtain a minimum of 40% marks (80 out of a total of 200 marks) in the exam to qualify it.
total of 62 questions are asked in the exam - 20 in Mathematics Section, 40 in Aptitude Section, and 2 in Drawing Section. Both the Drawing questions carry 40 marks each while all the other questions carry 2 marks each. There is no negative marking in the
Do you have any specific questions about an architecture college or its admission process? Write it down in the comment section below and we will answer it soon.
Author Bio:- Aditya Singhal is the co-founder of AskIITians an online coaching platform for IIT JEE, Medical and School Entrance exams. It is his passion and
vision to help the engineering and medical aspirants that he along with his co-founder started with this venture. He had worked with Kurt Salmon Associates, a reputed American Management Consultancy.